May 3, 2001
"Knowing the right answer
requires no decisions,
carries no risks,
and makes no demands.
It is automatic. It is thoughtless."
How do students learn mathematics and science?
1. What is the teacher's role? What is the student's role? How do these roles fit current ideas of how students learn?
2. What are obstacles to teaching in a way that reflects how students learn? What are methods to address these obstacles?
How do we construct a teaching practice to reflect the
way students learn?
3. Where do you see your teaching in the continuum of teaching methodologies? Explain.
Expository (Direct)------------Guided Inquiry--------------Free Discovery
4. How will multiple diverse perspectives enhance the teaching of mathematics and science in your classroom?
5. How will you use the textbook and worksheets in a way that reflects how students learn?
6. Given unlimited resources how would you incorporate technology into teaching mathematics and science?
7. How will you know when students have achieved the outcomes/standards?